Thursday, July 3, 2014

 AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT:
DW Davis
I’d like to thank DW Davis for stopping by and sitting down with us for a few minutes on my virtual sofa to answer a few questions..  
. Can you tell us a little about yourself?
I am an author of young adult romance/coming-of-age novels told from the guy's perspective, who recently joined Master Koda Select Publishing. My writing reflects my memories of growing up along the North Carolina coast near Wrightsville and Carolina Beaches. I left that area when I graduated high school and traveled half-way around the world and back collecting memories and experiences which help shape my characters. Now back in eastern North Carolina, I enjoy bringing to life characters whose adventures take place in my favorite part of the world.

. Who or what inspires you?
Being near the coast inspires me. I grew up near the beach and it is still where I feel most at home.

. Who’s you favorite author?
I can honestly say I do not have one favorite author. So many authors, from so many different genres have captured my imagination and inspired me over the years that I cannot narrow it down to one.

. Do you have a favorite time or place to write?
When I’m at home, my favorite time to write is late at night when I’m the only one awake. My favorite place to write is the Majik Beanz coffee shop in Carolina Beach. This is the coffee shop that inspired the setting for much of my new book, The Boy From Buzby Beach.

. Do you have a favorite food or drink while you write?
Coffee.

.What do you do to relax?
When I can, I relax by going camping or fishing, preferably both on the same trip.

. As writers, we all have to deal with writer’s block, what do you do when that happens?
My strategy for overcoming writer’s block is to read, listen to music, or watch a favorite old movie. Sometimes I find ideas or inspiration. Sometimes it just helps me relax enough that the words begin flowing again.

Now that we’ve got the easy stuff out of the way, let’s talk about your book.
. Would you like to share something from you latest project with us?
My latest project is the second book in the Buzby Beach series and includes Jacques, the main character from The Boy From Buzby Beach in a key role, but introduces a new character, Sabine, who is new to the island and facing myriad challenges of her own.

. What genre is it?
Teen/Young Adult/Coming of Age

. Where do you draw your artistic inspiration from?
I draw inspiration from my memories of growing up at the beach, having watched my sons grow up, and from watching my middle grade students learning to deal with life.

. What authors have had the strongest influence on you as a writer?
This would be a long and storied list, from Isaac Asimov to Stephen King to Nicholas Sparks to Harry Turtledove to Sarah Dessen to WEB Griffith, just to name a few.

. Do you use an outline or do you let the story emerge as it goes along?
I generally let the story emerge. I find that my characters will often go off and do the unexpected and enjoy letting them define themselves, so to speak.

. Are you traditionally or self-published?
My first three books were self-published. My latest book was published by Master Koda Select Publishing. The MKSP family is a wonderful and supportive group of people and I feel very privileged to have been invited to join their growing list of authors.

. What made you pick that route?
I self-published my first books after spending many months trying to find representation the traditional way. The more research I did, the more I learned about self-publishing, and the more viable an option it started to seem like. As I was searching the web for sites to help me market and promote my books, I was fortunate enough to meet folks associated with MKSP and ultimately they invited me to submit my latest work.

. What has been your biggest challenge?
My biggest challenge has been marketing and promotion. There are so many avenues to pursue it can be frustrating trying to choose the right ones. Thankfully, through my association with MKSP, I have received lots help and direction in that regard.

. What has been your greatest reward?
As a writer, my greatest reward is hearing from readers how much they enjoy my books.
. If you had one professional wish, what would it be?

If I had one professional wish, it would be that I become known as a pre-eminent author of good, enjoyable, well written young adult novels.

That wasn’t so bad was it?  But before we go, do you have any last words of wisdom to offer those reading this?
My words of wisdom are this: Write. If you are waiting until the time is right to write, don’t. Write right now. Don’t worry about format, genre, grammar, spelling, etc. You can fix those later. Just start writing.

You can find DW Davis on:
Amazon at: http://www.amazon.com/author/dwdavis
Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/RiverSailorLiterary
Twitter at: https://twitter.com/DWDavisRSL






1 comment:

  1. Thank you for a wonderful interview. It's always a pleasure having the opportunity to share information about my books.

    ReplyDelete

Artistic Reflections